First of all. Life with with a dog. It’s not easy. Beware.
My family always had dogs from the earliest moment I can remember. In 2016 I moved to Malaysia for a new job and within 2 months of moving my long term girlfriend and I broke up. So I thought it would be a good idea to get a dog. Don’t. Getting Kiara has been both a blessing and a nightmare. The blessing is that she is an amazing dog, full of energy, love and affection. I can’t image life without her, but she’s a nightmare sometimes.
Considerations before getting a dog
- A dog is for life. Owning a dog is a lifetime commitment.
- Owning a dog can be quite expensive.
- Food (duh)
- Vaccines, Medicine and vet treatment
- Boarding (you might have to go somewhere where you can’t take your dog).
- Toys and treats
- Owning a dog will take a lot of time and severely limit your social life.
- Multiple daily walks
- Training (house breaking, basic commands, socializing, etc. Especially puppies.)
- Dog’s might not be allowed where you go (parks, restaurants, etc).
- Playtime and care
- Dog’s may get sick and need a vet
- Dog’s need accessories and basic equipment
- Bowl for food and water
- Leash, harness, etc,
- Dog’s need grooming, and general care (ever thought about brushing a dog’s teeth?)
If you thought all of this through thoroughly… Go get a dog! It’s an amazing friend that will love you all of it’s life.